Information for Congregations in Call Process
The purpose of the Support to Ministries Committee of the South Dakota Synod is to walk with congregations as they begin, work through, and complete the search for new church leadership. The committee is represented by each of the seven conferences of the South Dakota Synod, one ordained and one lay representative from each conference.
Steps in Seeking a New Pastor
Instructions: Click headings below for more information and resources.
Click here for a list of Call Process Resources.
1. Inform the synod office of your pastoral/rostered leader opening.
▼ 2. Arrange for pastoral/rostered leader assistance during transition
Parish council president contacts the synod office to arrange Interim ministry
Lists of contacts available for interim and pulpit supply:
▼ 3. Learn about yourself and the direction the Holy Spirit is leading
- Download Devotions For Congregations In Call Process (from SWMN Synod)
- Create a call committee according to your constitution representing members in your parish
▼ 4. Ministry site study (formally called parish study)
- Representatives from the synod office and your conference meet with your congregation
- Your congregation tells Support to Ministries about the kind of ministry you want and need
▼ 5. Candidates names and profiles
- Synod staff and members of Support to Ministries Committee consider possible names
- Candidate profiles are sent to the call committee for review.
▼ 6. Call committee reviews profiles
- The call committee considers the profiles of candidate(s)
▼ 7. The interview process
8. Prayer and Reflection
▼ 9. Call committee recommends candidate to council
- Council acts on the recommendation of the call committee
- 2015 Compensation and Guidelines (effective Jan. 1, 2015)
▼ 10. Congregational meeting
- The congregation votes on the candidate
▼ 11. Candidate discerns
- If pastor/candidate says no – the call committee goes back to the candidate profiles and begins again
▼ 12. Installation
- The pastor and congregation begin their mutual commitment in ministry together
If you have any questions about your congregation’s call process or the above forms, please contact Susan Marone, AIM at 605/274-4022 or Crystal McCormick, Candidacy and Mobility Office Coordinator at 605/274-4024.
Call Process Resources
2015 Compensation Guidelines
|• Lay Leaders (pdf)|
|• Pastors Living in a Parsonage (pdf)|
|• Pastors Receiving a Housing Allowance (pdf)|
|• Rostered Lay Leaders (pdf)|
Congregations in Transition
Ministry Sites Accepting Candidate Names
Artesian, First/Carthage, Trinity/Iroquois, Immanuel (solo)
Brookings, Ascension (associate) * #
Florence Lutheran Parish – Clark, St. Paul/Florence, Goodhue & New Helgen (solo)
Gayville, Gayville/Meckling, Bergen (solo)
Mitchell, New Home/St. Mary’s Episcopal Church (solo)
Rapid City, Faith (solo)
Rapid City, Woyatan (solo) #
Sioux Falls, East Side (associate)
Sioux Falls, Holy Cross (senior)
Sioux Falls, Our Savior’s (full-time Youth and Family Pastor)
Vermillion, Trinity (solo) # – Nate Lizarazo & Barbara Wangsness, Interims #
Warner, St. John (solo)
Waubay, Our Savior’s (half-time)
Yankton, Trinity (associate)
Ministry Site Study to be Scheduled
Baltic, Baltic/East Nidaros (solo)
Langford Parish – Claremont, Augustana/Langford, Evangelical, Falnes, & Highlanda
Mission Hill, Vangen (solo)
Vermillion, Luther Center at USD (half-time)
# Interim Contract in place
* First Call Site
Karen Ressel – Pine Ridge Retreat Center, Pine Ridge
Tera Lowe (seminarian) – Prairie Fellowship Parish, Bison
Cheryl Rondeau-Bassett (seminarian) – First, Claire City/Faith, New Effington/Our Savior’s, Veblen
Bryan Taffe (seminarian) – Prairie Star Lutheran Parish, Bryant/Vienna/Willow Lake
Long-Term Interim Sites
Kimball, Kimball Protestant Parish – Daryl Schubert through May 2015
Oldham, Oldham/Ramona, St. John – Joanne Nagele
Rapid City, Lord of Life – Bruce Baum, Interim until 2016
Sioux Falls, Holy Cross – Frank Philipp, Interim until 10/25/15
Buffalo, Grand River – Kris Garlick
Crooks, Benton/Dell Rapids, Willow Creek – Tom Stadem, AIM
Faulkton, Our Savior’s – LeShea Avery
Lake Preston, Lake Preston/North Preston – Brad Sanderson
Madison, St. John – Michele Gehring, AIM
Timber Lake, Prairie Parish – Teri Gayer
Tera Lowe – First Lutheran, Gladstone, MI – May 22 at 1 p.m.
Karen Ressel – Eau Claire, WI – May 23 at 10:30 a.m.
Cheryl Rondeau-Bassett – Wilmot Lutheran, Wilmot – June 19 at 7 p.m.
Bryan Taffe – Faith Lutheran, Morris, MN – June 20 at 11 a.m.