Who We Are
The South Dakota Synod is one of the 65 Synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, a church so deeply and confidently rooted in the Gospel of God’s grace that we are free to give our lives joyfully in witness and service.
The South Dakota Synod consists of 206 congregations with approximately 280 Ministers of Word and Sacrament (Pastors) and 21 Ministers of Word and Service (Deacons).
2A – Sierra Pacific Synod, ELCA
International Companion Synod:
Evangelical Lutheran Church of Cameroon
Faith And Hope Lutheran Church Of Nicaragua
Journeying Together in Christ
Nurtured in Word and Sacrament, God sends us to become a joyful sign of God’s abundant blessing as we:
- proclaim the good news of Jesus to every hungering soul,
- share compassion with all who suffer, and
- feed all whose bodies lack nourishment.
Prayer, Human Dignity, Gratitude, The Neighbor, Grace
We commit ourselves to
- Pray without ceasing,
- Respect the sacred dignity of every human being,
- Cultivate a deep sense of gratitude to God, the giver of all good things,
- Seek out and befriend the neighbor,
- Remain humble in the conviction that our calling comes purely by the grace of God.
Download a printable version for use in your congregation.
Meet the Synod Staff.