Old Fashioned Bible Study and Intriguing New Ideas
The South Dakota Synod 2018 Spring Theological Conference
April 3-5, 2018
Trinity Lutheran Church
403 Broadway Ave.
Yankton, SD 57078
Guest Theologian: Dr. Mark Allan Powell
Biblical scholars often come up with very different ideas regarding well-known passages, insisting that people have missed the point of the story for centuries. Sometimes this can be very troubling; other times, it may actually be refreshing. There are times when a story that always bothered us may turn out to be more meaningful than we imagined – but, then scholars have also acquired a reputation for sometimes ruining people’s favorite Bible stories.
At this retreat, we will take five well-known passages from the Gospels and do some old-fashioned Bible study, exploring the passages and paying careful atten- tion to some of the details. But we will do this with a “twist”—in each case, Dr. Powell will explain why some interpreters think the traditional understanding is wrong and why they propose a different reading.
This will make for lively discussion. Dr. Powell says that in some of the cases, he actually does think the new reading is preferable and that it might help us in our Christian lives. In other cases, he thinks the proposed new reading may have been an interesting suggestion but it does not ultimately hold up.
- The Beatitudes (Matthew 5:3-12)
- The Widow’s Mite (Mark 12:41-44)
- The Prostitute who Washes Jesus’ Feet (Luke 7) Mary and Martha (Luke 10)
- Parable of Sheep and Goats (Matthew 25)
Mark Allan Powell is the Robert and Phyllis Leatherman professor of New Testament at Trinity Lutheran Seminary in Columbus, Ohio.
- $110 for Rostered Ministers and Lay Professionals ($10 late fee after March 16th)
- $60 for Retired Rostered Ministers/Seminarians
- $25 for Spouse attending banquet only
Each registrant is responsible for making lodging arrangements.
- Star-Lite Inn Motel: 4 reserved rooms: 2 rooms at $49.75, 2 rooms at $54.95. Member owned. Call 605-665-7828 to reserve by March 27.
- Econolodge: 15 reserved rooms: $70/night. Call 605-689-3400 to reserve by April 3.
- Holiday Inn Express: 15 reserved rooms $115/night. Call 605-665-3177 to reserve.
- Best Western: 50 reserved rooms $109 for a king; and $115 for double. Reserve by February 27th. Call 605-665-2906.
Tuesday April 3
5:30 PM – 6:30 PM – Early Registration at Trinity Lutheran Church in Yankton with Coffee and Treats
6:30 PM – 7:30 PM – Dr. Mark Allen Powell, Session 1
7:45 PM Compline with Pastor David Wildermuth
The Landing for Liberating Libations
Wednesday April 4
8:00 AM – Coffee and treats at Trinity Lutheran
8:30 AM – 9:30 AM – Dr. Mark Allen Powell, Session 2
Break 9:30 AM -10:00 AM
10:00 AM – 11:00 AM Dr. Mark Allen Powell, Session 3
11:00 AM – Bishop’s Conversation
Break for Lunch – Free Time to 5:15pm
Possible Things To Do
Take a Nap and Eat Lunch
Eat Lunch and Take a Nap
Golf at Fox Run
Watch a Movie at the AMC Theater
Go shoot arrows at the National Archery Center
Get a Massage
Take a stained glass tour of Yankton
Check out the new Yankton museum
Evening, April 4th
5:30 PM – 6:30 PM – Brewed Theology with Pastor Ben Eisele and Dr. Mark Allen Powell at The Landing, Session 4
6:45 PM – Dinner at The Landing
Free time following
Thursday April 5th
8:00 AM – Coffee and Treats, Trinity Lutheran
8:30 AM – 9:30 AM – Dr. Mark Allen Powell, Session 5
9:30 AM-10:00 AM Break
10:00 AM Closing Worship at Trinity Lutheran