Spirit of Joy Lutheran Church
Coordinator of Communications
Spirit of Joy Lutheran Church Mission Statement:
to WELCOME people into a community of followers of Jesus Christ;
to GROW with one another in faith and hope in Him;
to SEND out one another as Jesus’ compassionate servants in the world.
Job Title: Coordinator of Congregation Communications, Spirit of Joy Lutheran Church
Employment Status: Part time, 10-15 hours/week
Wages: $15-18/hour depending on experience and education
Spirit of Joy Lutheran Church in Sioux Falls, South Dakota is seeking a part-time Communications Coordinator to serve our congregation. Responsible for the coordination and production of all internal and external communications for Spirit of Joy Lutheran Church. Works with staff, ministry leadership, and communications team to create communications strategies, plans, and timelines. Communication strategies include print, digital, and social media.
Job Qualifications (faith, skills, knowledge, and abilities):
- Commitment to serving and growing in relationship with Jesus Christ and His Church.
- Understanding of the biblical story and Lutheran Christian theology.
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor degree preferred in communications, marketing, or related field
- Ability to work effectively with little supervision and to manage time and projects independently.
- Good interpersonal skills for working collaboratively with paid and volunteer leaders.
- Strong project management skills; ability to multitask, organize and prioritize to stay within budget and on deadline; strong attention to detail.
- Proficiency in common word processing, database management, email and internet applications. Ability to work a flexible schedule with occasional evenings and weekends.
- Proficiency in web development and social media integration.
- Aptitude for graphic design and familiarity with graphic design software.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute a communication plan using a variety of media for a faith-based or not for profit organization strongly preferred.
- Successful completion of criminal background check.
Overall Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Work with communications team to manage all internal and external congregation communication, and facilitate communication of ministry and mission to congregation partners and general public.
2. Work with communications team to develop and manage a digital media strategy including social media and website, and coordinate content across platforms so that content stays current. 3. Manage web content that both introduces community to Spirit of Joy in a creative, informative, and inviting way, and keeps members informed of ongoing activities and events.
4. Create and send weekly congregational emails, and manage link on website for guests to access weekly emails.
5. Oversee the creation and posting of congregation ministry stories of the week on website, Facebook, and Twitter.
6. Oversee development of branding standards and ensure that communications are true to brand across all media platforms.
7. Coordinate development and producing of digital and printed materials used for publicity of events, special worship services, and programs.
8. Schedule and coordinate communications calendar.
9. Help develop, track and update communications budget.
10. Perform other duties as required.
Management Discretion: The job duties and requirements that this document describes may be altered or supplemented at any time at the discretion of the employer with notification of employee.
Employment-at-Will: This document does not create an employment contract, either express or implied. All employment is employment-at-will.
Terms of Employment:
- This position is a part-time position.
- This position will work under the supervision of the Lead Pastor and is accountable to the Ministry Resources Team and the Leadership Team.
- After first 90 days of employment, this position will participate in a performance review with the Lead Pastor and Executive Committee, with an annual review after that.
- It is expected that this person will attend training and ongoing education that will aid in job responsibilities.
- Attention to the regular disciplines of worship, scripture reading, and prayer will be expected as essential practices for the individual’s ongoing growth in the Christian faith.